Closing on August 21st, the Mayne Island Conservancy Society will be running an amateur Nature Photo Contest for Mayne Island residents and visitors. If you have a camera, like exploring Mayne Island, and want to share your enthusiasm for the natural world, this is the event for you! Categories for the contest are:
- native plant(s)
- native animal(s)
- manipulated photo
- ocean/beach scene
- kids only (nature photo taken by anyone 16 or under)
The rules are listed to the below, but check out our Facebook page from time to time, or follow us on Twitter; also our posters will be displayed on the island in all the usual spots. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-539-5168, or better yet, visit our office and the Mary Jeffery Resource Room at 478 Village Bay Rd, otherwise known as The Root Seller.
- All photo submissions must be sent to MICS by August 21st, 2016.
- Only digital photographs will be accepted. These photos may be included in a printed calendar; please send us the highest resolution photo possible (if sending from iPhone, please use the “actual size” option). If the photo is not high resolution, we regretfully will not be able to accept it.
- All submissions must be taken on Mayne Island, include entrant’s name, contact information (phone number and/or email), and category into which the photo is being submitted.
- This contest is intended for amateur photographers. If you earn over $3000 per year from your photography, please do not enter this contest.
- If there are any people in the photograph, you must receive permission from them to enter the photo into the contest. If your photo is chosen as a winner, it will be published in our calendar and those pictured in the photo must be okay with this (parental permission must be given for anyone in the photograph who is 18 and under).
- All photographs must have been taken by the entrant in the year 2016.
- Only one photograph per person may be submitted into each category.
- The same photograph may not be entered into multiple categories.
- Photo colour correction (e.g. white balance, saturation, clarity) and cropping are allowed, but please no creative manipulation, except for the manipulated photo category.
- For the “kids only” category, kids are classified as 16 and under. They may enter photos into any category they wish and are not restricted to the kids only category.
- All decisions are final.
- We understand that it is not always clear as to whether a plant or animal is considered native. If you are unsure we are happy to help.
The contest has now closed and the judges have made their decisions - to see the winning images from the 2016 competition have a look at photo_contest16_results.htm